Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Tuesday morning

Things have improved since Thursday. Uncle appeared Friday night and we had a nice dinner. He's brought lunches over and helped with the sorting. My brother came down Sunday night and we did the final splitting of the treasures. Dr. Lorimer arrives tonight, Lars next week.

It doesn't feel like I'm making progress on the house, but I know I must be. Another box filled, another load to charity, another trash bag drug out the door. Scraping away the layers of a person's life like so much archaeology. No one should have to do this, but at some point it has to be done for all of us.

There is a hummingbird outside the cafe window. It's good to find these tiny moments of wonder between the hours of sorting-packing-saving-junking.

There have been hummingbirds around my mother's house. I think Dr. Lorimer will enjoy them, and the flowers, and the sea.

I wish so much I could keep the house. I don't know how I will drive away next week.

2 Comments:

  Blogger biped hath spake:

Thankfully you only have to do this once. I hope you have the time to enjoy a nice bottle of wine to bid the house farewell when everything is done.

  Blogger Skywolf hath spake:

Thinking of you, Narrisch... it must be such a difficult thing.

Post a Comment

<< Home