Wednesday, May 31, 2006

One For Dr. Lorimer



Speaking of 'the ruins of civilizations that were mighty in their day'...

This is the sarcophagus of Eshmunazar II, king of Sidon (one of the great port cities of ancient Phoenicia, located in modern-day Lebanon). Dr. Lorimer and I admired it at the Louvre.

The inscription comprises a little genealogy, a little self-promotion, and a little admonishment to potential treasure seekers. ("[T]he sacred gods shall inflict extirpation on them.")

But what I really like is how the translator phrased this bit:

For, graced by the gods, I am carried away. The time of my non-existence has come; my spirit has disappeared, like the day, from whence I am silent, since which I became mute.


I should very much like to have that on my tombstone one day.


source: Dr. Nicholas C. J. Pappas

2 Comments:

  Blogger Archie Furrows hath spake:

Extirpation. Sounds painful.

  Blogger La Tulipe hath spake:

Ah! The inscription frightens Rian.

Post a Comment

<< Home